Yellow cucumber / Dosakaya is a cherished vegetable in Andhra cuisine. Pachadi (Chutney), Pappu (Dal) and Avakai (Pickle) are the common preparations made from dosakaya.we prepared a tangy spicy pachadi that makes for a delicious side dish with rice and a dollop of ghee.
1 cup yellow cucumber
1 tbsp bengal gram
1 1/2 tbsp split gram dal
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 green chillis
3 dry red chillis (Adjust acc to your spice level)
9 curry leaves
1 1/2 tbsp tamarind paste
2 tsp canola oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida
1/8 tsp Sugar
salt to taste
1.First Peel the skin of yellow cucumber.Cut in to half and check the taste,some times this yellow cucumber may taste bitter which will spoil the chutney taste.So check the taste and remove the seeds.Then cut the yellow cucumber in to small pieces and keep side.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan, add bengal gram ,split gram dal and cumin seeds and saute for 5 mins on medium heat till they turn golden brown. Then add curry leaves, green chillies and red chillies and fry for another min. Remove to the plate and cool.
3. First grind the spices to a coarse powder in a mixer / blender.Then Add tamarind paste ,yellow cucumber pieces ,salt and sugar and grind to a coarse paste. The yellow cucumber should not be made into a paste.
4. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.Then add cumin seeds,split black gram and let it turn red. Add the curry leaves and hing and toss them for a few seconds.
5. Turn off heat and add the seasoning to the ground cucumber chutney and mix well.
6. Serve with hot steamed rice ,ghee and papad.