Khaman Dhokla is a traditional Gujarati snack that is served for festive meals .They are available in sweet shops all over the country.This recipe makes a really soft and spongy dhoklas.It tastes very delicious even kids will like it. This is an instant version of famous Gujrathi Khaman Dhokla.
For the batter
Bengal gram flour/Besan - 3 Cups
Citric acid/nimbu ka phool - 1 tsp
Sugar - 6 tsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Ginger-Green chilli paste - 4 tsp
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Salt - 2 tsp or (Acc to ur taste)
Water - 2 Cups
For the tempering
Oil -1 tbsp
Mustard seeds /rai - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds /Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Sesame seeds /til - 2 tsp (Optional)
Green chillies,Slit length wise - 3
A pinch Asafoetida(hing)
Curry Leaves - 7
For the garnish
1 tbsp Chopped coriander leaves (dhania)
1 tbsp grated coconut
1. In a large bowl, combine besan / chickpea flour/Bengal Gram Flour, citric acid ,sugar,ginger paste, green chili paste ,oil and salt to taste. Stir to mix, then add 1 cup water to make a batter of pouring consistency and mix well .
2. Heat the remaining 1 cup water .When the water starts boiling add the baking soda and immediately stir it gently into the batter and mix well.
3. you will see it forms bubbles and When the mixture rises, pour it immediately into a greased pan.
4. Steam for 20 minutes in pressure cooker, just like you do for Idlis without whistle. Once the Dhokla is cooked completely, switch off the stove and leave it for 5 minutes to cool.
5.For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds,sesame seeds, green chillies ,asafoetida and curry leaves.Take the tempering off the heat, and pour the tempering mixture over the dhokla.
6.Cut into pieces & Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut.
7. Serve with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
Makes 30- 35 Dhoklas